Ah, finals week. It happens 3 times a year and each time is always stressful. I love that the library is open for 24 hours, but sometimes I need a change of scenery. Check out some places to get your study on as well as a nice cup of coffee.
- Panera. I LOVE Panera. In the winter months I love to get soup in a bread bowl. The employees are super nice and it feels like homey. There are a few scattered throughout the city. In Lincoln Park you can find one at 616 West Diversey & 2070 North Clybourn Avenue. If you are downtown, there is one in the University Center building at 501 South State Street and another at 2 N. Michigan Ave.
- Julius Meinl. My friends introduced me to this place my Junior year. It’s north of Lincoln Park, but I recommend taking the trip if you’ve never been. It has a lot of delicious desserts and is open until 10 pm Sunday-Thursday & until 11 Friday-Saturday. Off the Southport Brown line, this Austrian bakery and cafe is located at 3601 N. Southport. IMPORTANT NOTE: They only have free wi-fi Monday-Friday!
- The Bourgeois Pig Cafe. This delicious sandwich spot was recommended to me my freshman year by my Discover Chicago mentor. I went there fairly early in the quarter and fell in love with its cozy atmosphere. As a tour guide, I always refer people there for lunch after the 11:00 tour ends. You get 2 free hours of wi-fi with a purchase which may be annoying to some, but to me, it helps me get stuff done. If I don’t want the internet to distract me, I won’t ask for the internet code so I can’t get online to check Facebook “for just a second.”
- Intelligentsia. A favorite of my friend, this coffee place is based in Chicago. Intelligentsia has a location downtown across from Millenium Park (53 East Randolph St.). If you’re not downtown you can find another in Lakeview at 3123 North Broadway.
- The Wormhole Coffee. Do you live in Wicker Park/want to explore a new neighborhood? Then The Wormhole is for you! This popular hipster cafe can be found at 1462 N. Milwaukee (between Evergreen Ave & Honore St). They are open a little bit later than most, closing at 11 pm. My favorite part about this place is that they serve delicious treats from Fritz Bakery.
- Coffee Studio. Want to venture north of Lincoln Park & Lakeview? This Andersonville coffee shop (5628 North Clark Street) is open from 6:30 am-9 pm everyday. It made the “The Best Coffee Shops in the U.S.” list by Delish.com and “Where to Drink Coffee” list by Serious Eats.
- Loose Leaf Lounge. I haven’t made it to this tea cafe, but it’s been on my list of places to go and is recommended by a fellow campus tour guide. Located in Lakeview at 2915 North Broadway, it’s supposed to have pretty reliable wi-fi. Check out their calendar for special events like open mics and “The Funny Story Show.”
- Next Door Cafe: This place fills up quickly, so if you are an early bird this might be the place for you. You can find this community cafe at 659 W Diversey. They are open from 7 am-10 pm every day! Just don’t let the nearby shops (Akira, Express, and Urban Outfitters) distract you!
- Dollop Coffee and Tea. If you were a fan of Noble Tree Cafe on Clark, don’t fret about it’s closing (I just found out it closed and added it to the “mourning” list which includes Big Stuff and Savor the Flavor). Apparently Dollop is owned by the Noble Tree owners and they serve Metropolis coffee, Hoosier Mamma Pies, and baked goods from Southport grocery. You can find this place at 4181 N Clarendon Ave.
- Kickstand Coffee. Live by the Belmont stop? This cafe is in your neighborhood at 824 W. Belmont! Open from 9 am-9 pm every day, this small coffee shop “sticks out like a needle in a haystack.” Just make sure ask for a wi-fi access card when you get your beverage.
- Whole Foods Lincoln Park. Going to a grocery store might not sound like a great place to study, but there is that 2nd floor loft. Plus they have so many delicious snacks in their bakery section. If you are a foodie, there might be too many distractions, but if you want a milkshake while you study, this could be the place for you. The Whole Foods on 1550 N. Kingsbury Street is open from 8am to 10pm seven days a week.
Follow our hashtag #DPUfinals for inspiration, study tips, and more! Good luck everyone & have a great Thanksgiving!! We will be taking next week off but check back the week of November 26!