Are you still in the city over break and looking for something to do? Take advantage of all this free time and try something new! Visit a tourist attraction you’ve never been to, explore a new neighborhood, or try that new restaurant you’ve been wanting to try. Need some inspiration? Keep reading!
- Zoo Lights at Lincoln Park Zoo. This is completely FREE and always a beautiful spectacle. The Lincoln Park Zoo offers this from 5-9 pm Friday-Sunday nights in December. On December 26 they will be on every night through January 6.
- See a Second City Show. Second City is one of Chicago’s famous sketch-comedy & improv groups with alumni including SNL alum Tina Fey and Bill Murray. Did you know DePaul students get a 15% off discount to Tuesday-Thursday and Sunday shows? Go with your friends and have some laughs.
- The Doughnut Vault. Located off the Merchandise Mart Stop at the corner of Kinzie/Franklin, this is the best doughnut shop in the city. Anthony Bourdain visited it when he filmed the Chicago episode of The Layover. It opens at 8 a.m. Tuesday-Fridays and 9:30 Saturdays. There’s no closing time, they sell until all the doughnuts are gone, but the earlier you get there the better. Be warned it’s cash only, so make sure you have at least $3 on you.
- Try a new recipe. The best part about break is that I’m not stuffing food in my face while I’m running out the door to class. I can take my time and actually cook a meal. One of my favorite food blogs, The Crepes of Wrath, has everything from desserts, sides, drinks, and main dishes. Have some friends over and share a meal!
- Visit a museum. Did you know the Museum of Contemporary Art is FREE on Tuesdays for Illinois residents? It is different art than what you might find at the Art Institute, which is also free to Illinois residents the first and second Wednesday of every month. Both places are great to escape from the cold for a few hours 🙂
We hope you are enjoying your break! Don’t forget, we have movie tickets for $6.50!